Index to Norwich University Newspapers, 1860-1946
Use this index to explore the content of Norwich University newspapers, the Reveille, Norwich University Record, and Norwich Guidon from 1860 to 1946.
Browse alphabetically to find people, places, and subjects from Norwich history.
If an issue has been digitized and made available online, entries will be linked to the correct page. For entries without links, visit or email us to use or obtain a scan from the physical copy.
What do entries mean?
The formula includes: a publication code : Volume Number : Issue Number : Year page number
- Rv = the Reveille, a student newspaper published between 1860 and 1922 (the bulk from 1882-1922)
- Rc = the Norwich University Record, our alumni newspaper still published today, only indexed from its beginnings in July 1908 to September 1946
- Gd = the Norwich Guidon, our student newspaper begun in 1922, only indexed to September 1946
For example, Rc:I:3:1908 7 = the Norwich University Record, Volume I, Issue 3, published in 1908, on page 7.
Sections for specific subjects, like people, with a lot of entries have been further subdivided into different categories.
Examples of subdivisions you might find under a person's name include:
- as cadet
- obituary of
- post Norwich years of = for information out about civilian careers, marriages, births, and other non-military life after Norwich
- military service of = for information about military service and experiences
- Alumni Association and = for information about participation in alumni events
- letters of = for first-person accounts of personal experiences
- "p" following a page number = a photograph or illustration
- opposite = opposite the page number given (page is not numbered)
- NV = no volume number
- V.N.G. = Vermont National Guard
- WWI = World War I
- WWII = World War II
- Where names are identical, class year or graduation date is included in parentheses
- Titles of books and other publications are in italics.