Guide to the Malcolm Wesley Courser Papers,
Norwich University Archives
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-2947
Fax: (802) 485-2173
Creator Courser, Malcolm W., 1908-1978 Title Malcolm Wesley Courser Papers Dates 1926-1969 Extent 1 Box (1 linear foot)
About the Collection
The collection consists of papers and photographs documenting Malcolm Courser's military service career. Also included are his appointments, commissions, certificates and military awards. There is an interesting collection of World War II propaganda. Also included is Courser’s NU "memory book" (scrapbook) containing photographs, postcards, ephemera and clippings documenting his time at Norwich University, 1926-1931. Please see the complete content listing below for additional details pertaining to the collection.
About Malcolm Courser
Malcolm W. Courser (1908-1978) entered Norwich University from Barton, VT, and graduated with the Class of 1931. While at Norwich he was a pistol sharpshooter, an expert swordsman and a member of the rifle team. He was also a member of Iota Pi Kappa, the radio club and the board of the War Whoop. During World War II he was assigned to Headquarters, First Army in Europe. He served in the Normandy, northern France, Rhineland and Ardennes campaigns. He was later integrated into the Regular Army as the First Army’s public relations officer. Malcolm Courser served as commanding officer of one of the five commands in Korea under General I. D. White. Upon his return to the U. S. he served at Fort Leavenworth. Upon his retirement in 1961 he was serving as Quartermaster of the First Army at Governor’s Island, NY. The Control File included with the collection contains additional biographical information on Malcolm Courser.
The following subjects are represented in this collection. If you are researching these topics, try using these search terms in the library catalog:
· Courser, Malcolm W., 1908-1978
· Norwich University - Alumni and alumnae.
· Norwich University - Students
· World War, 1939-1945 - Propaganda
· Norwich University - Buildings - Photographs.
· Norwich University - Football
The collection is open.
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below: Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Malcolm Wesley Courser Papers, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT. Here’s an example from the collection:
Draft dodgers on home front, German propaganda leaflet, 1944. Malcolm Wesley Courser Papers, WWII Propaganda file. Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Extent: 1 Box (1 linear foot) Collection Location: Archives B14
Language(s) of Material: English and German Repository: Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, 158 Harmon Dr., Northfield, VT 05663 USA, Phone: 802.485.2947, Fax: 802.485.2173, email@example.com
Certificates and Awards
· Appointment as 2nd Lieutenant/Cavalry, U.S. Army, 1930
· Appointment as 1st Lieutenant/Cavalry, U.S. Army, 1934
· Certificate of capacity to serve as 1st Lieutenant, Cavalry Reserve, Officers’ Reserve Corps, 1941
· Appointment as Captain/Cavalry, U.S. Army, 1941
· Certificate of commendation for meritorious service on the planning committee for “New York at War” demonstration and parade and invitation to attend award ceremony, 1942 (3 items)
· Citation for Army Commendation Ribbon for meritorious service, QM Corps - 1942-1943, 1945
· Citation for Legion of Merit – 1944-1945, ca. 1945
· Citation for distinguished service, Community Chest of America, 1946
· Appointment as Colonel/Cavalry, U.S. Army, 1947
· Commendation for acting as Army Week Project Officer, 1st Army, 1947
· Citation for award of the Ulchi Distinguished Military Service Medal from the Republic of Korea, 1956
· Certificate of achievement, 8th Army Support Command in recognition of outstanding service, ca. 1957
· Special Services award, Fort Leavenworth, KS, for coaching 1958 Little League season, 1958
· Certificate of attendance, Senior Officer Nuclear Weapons Employment Course, 1960
· Certificate of award, Army Commendation Medal, 2nd Oak Leaf Cluster, 1960
· Certificate of award, Army Commendation Medal, 3rd Oak Leaf Cluster, 1961
· Certificate of appreciation from NU for support as shareholder, 1963-1969
· Surveying class notebook, Norwich University, 1932
· Correspondence, 1932-1956
· Korean greeting cards, no date
· WWII papers, 1941-1945
· WWII Propaganda, 1941-1945
Papers of Ruth Courser (wife of Malcolm)
· Diploma, Co-sufferer of the advanced course at the Quartermaster School, Camp Lee, VA, 23 June 1949
· Newspaper clippings re: Business and Professional Women’s Club of Greater Haverhill (MA), no date
· Portrait of Gen. Courtney Hicks Hodges, signed
· Portrait of Gen. Briard Johnson, signed
· Portrait of Gen. Ray J. Laux, signed
· Portrait of Gen. I. D. White, signed
· Panoramic photograph of the 316th Cavalry at Camp Fort Ethan Allen, 1940 (in OSD1.5)
· Photograph of participants, Officers Associate Advanced Course No. 2, 1948 (rolled)
· Lieutenant, cavalry, ca. 1930-1934
· Captain, 1941?
· Lt. Colonel
· Colonel, Chicago, 1947
· Austria, ca. 1948-1950
· Korea, ca. 1955-1956
· Ft. Leavenworth, ca. 1959
· Norwich University Memory Book, 1926-1936. Includes photographic postcards of the campus, event ephemera, clippings, photographs, vintage valentine and birthday cards, football, CCC, Rifle Team, encampments, equestrian, and Delta Sigma Tau.
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.