Guide to the Ski Area Records, 1970-1993
Norwich University Archives
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-2947
Fax: (802) 485-2173
Creator Ski Area Title Ski Area Records Dates 1970-1993 Extent 1 Box (1 linear foot) About the Collection
he collection consists primarily of files recovered from the old Norwich ski area shack and transferred to the archives in October 2011. Annual reports from 1972-1987 summarize ticket sales and daily skier traffic at the ski area in the 1970s and 1980s. More detailed daily reports and tallies also capture snapshots of day-to-day activity from 1972 until the close of the Ski Area in 1992. Some tickets and other ephemera as well as memos and correspondence, 1970-1991, is also included. Much of the correspondence dates from the early 1970s, when Donald Jennings was manager of the ski area. Records of sales of tickets and passes from 1972-1990, including a small sampling of skier records and identification forms comprise the rest of the collection. There is also a history of the ski hill, 1939-1993.
About the Ski Area
Beginning as early as the 1930s until 1992, Norwich University was involved in operation of a ski slope used by students, faculty, staff and members of the local community. In 1936, an electric rope tow was installed on the slopes across Main Street from the Norwich campus by the Northfield Ski Club, with particular involvement by Louis Morse, class of 1930. Before graduating, the class of 1923 had already constructed a 30 meter ski jump just south of this rope tow. Norwich trustee, William Lybrand, purchased the tow for the university in 1939. A new ski trestle and jump was built in 1947 and then expanded and improved in 1954 and 1955. Also in 1954, Mr. Lybrand donated additional funds for the development of the ski area on the extension of Slate Avenue leading to Paine Mountain. This addition was officially designated the “Lybrand Ski Area” and included both more skiing trails and terrain and a ski hut for warming purposes.
In 1962, a Poma lift was installed and the old rope tow relocated above the new lift and used to carry skiers the final 900 to the highest point of the slope. In 1961, a new ski hut was also constructed at the base of this slope and this section of the ski area officially named the “Goodrich Ski Area” after George Goodrich of Northfield, who made the land available. In 1964, a new ski jump replaced the trestle and, in 1970, a double-chair lift was constructed. From 1979-1981, the ski area experienced several disastrous seasons with very little snow. By the mid-1980s the university was exploring options for leasing the ski hill. The winter of 1991-1992 was the last season the old ski hill was in operation.
In 2010, a gift by Larry Costa, class of 1980, supplied funding for a new outdoor recreation center at the location of the old ski area. The new SFC Shaw Outdoor Recreation Center is planned to feature trails for jogging, cross-country running, hiking, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, sledding and mountain biking. The recreation center is to be named after a former ROTC instructor at Norwich, SFC John Shaw.
The following subjects are represented in this collection. If you are researching these topics, try using these search terms in the library catalog:
Skis and skiing -- Vermont -- Northfield.
The collection is open; however, forty-eight hours notice is required to access these materials.
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below: Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Ski Area Records, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT. Here’s an example from the collection:
Memo to Senior Staff from President Todd, 3 December 1991. Ski Area Records, Memorandum and correspondence, 1970-1991 file, Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Extent: 1 Box (1 linear foot) Collection Location: Archives B12.1 Language(s) of Material: English Repository: Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, 158 Harmon Dr., Northfield, VT 05663 USA, Phone: 802.485.2947, Fax: 802.485.2173, firstname.lastname@example.org
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.