Guide to the Rook Posters Collection, 1913-1990
Norwich University Archives
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-2947
Fax: (802) 485-2173
Title Rook Posters Collection
Extent 1 Drawer (2.25 linear feet)
About the Collection
This collection contains broadsides (or posters), dated 1913-1990, which were generally produced by the sophomore class for the freshman class (rooks) at Norwich University. Sophomores or upperclassmen ritualistically printed these sheets of rules for new cadets in an attempt to enforce certain guidelines for corps conduct and personal behavior. Rook posters were especially prevalent from 1913 through World War II. Much of the language used in the posters may be indicative of an environment where hazing was tolerated to a greater extent than would be acceptable today. A complete list of poster headlines and the classes who produced them can be found in the content listing.
The following subjects are represented in this collection. If you are researching these topics, try using these search terms in the library catalog:
• Norwich University -- History -- 20th century.
• Hazing -- Vermont -- Northfield.
• Vermont -- Northfield.
The collection is open. However, a select number of rook posters appear only in the scrapbooks of various alumni; 48 notice is required to access rook posters appearing in these scrapbooks.
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below:
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Rook Posters Collection, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Here’s an example from the collection:
“Proclamation! By the portentious and omnipotent class of 1939,” Rook Posters Collection, Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Extent: 1 Drawer (2.25 linear feet)
Collection Location: Archives 500 (OSD2.1)
Language(s) of Material: English
Repository: Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, 158 Harmon Dr., Northfield, VT 05663 USA, Phone: 802.485.2947, Fax: 802.485.2173, email@example.com
• Class of 1913: “Ye infants of 1914, greetings” (see the Earle P. Livermore Scrapbook)
• Class of 1914: “Rooks beware”
• Class of 1915: “Rooks, attention”
• Class of 1916: “1915 this means you, $5000 reward” (3 copies)
• Class of 1916: “$5,000 reward”
• Class of 1917: “Rooks beware” (removed from the Earle P. Livermore Scrapbook)
• Class of 1918: “Heed this warning or we will sure get you!” (2 copies; one in the Gustaf Nelson Scrapbook and one in the Winthrop W. Locke Scrapbook)
• Class of 1919: “Attention rooks! Beware!” (2 copies)
• Class of 1920: “Rooks attention!”
• Class of 1920: “Rooks! Hands up!” (2 copies, one of which is on display in the archives)
• Class of 1921: “Heads up 1922″ (2 copies, one in the Charles Edward Maher Scrapbook, poor condition)
• Class of 1922: “1923 – Salutem!” in the Charles Edward Maher scrapbook. Poor condition.
• Class of 1926 (?): “Rooks! Read ‘um and weep! Rooks! (2 copies, one in the Francis Houghton Scrapbook and one in the Edward C. Bower Scrapbook)
• Class of 1927: “Headquarters, class of 1927″ (in the Rupert A. Nock Scrapbook)
• Class of 1928: “Attention rooks! Rook ritual” (2 copies)
• Class of 1929: “Attention rooks, rook ritual” (2 copies)
• Class of 1933: “Oyez! Oyez! Oyez!” (also in the Ralph H. Gowetz Scrapbook)
• Class of 1939: “Proclamation! By the portentous and omnipotent class of 1939″
• Class of 1941: “Proclamation by the portentous and omnipotent class of 1941″ (photocopy only)
• Class of 1942: “Proclamation by the portentous and omnipotent class of 1942″
• Class of 1943: “Heed this warning or we will sure get you” (2 copies, one of which is on display in the archives)
• October 1942: “Disciplinary ritual for the class of 1946″
• Class of 1949: “Beware, rooks, beware” (2 copies)
• Class of 1955: “Beware, rooks, beware”
• 1990: “Rooks beware” (on display in the archives)
• Class of 1990: “Rook rules for the class of 1994″ (in control file)
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.