Guide to the Porter Hartwell Adams Papers, 1898-1985
Norwich University Archives
158 Harmon Drive
Northfield, VT 05663
Phone: (802) 485-2947
Fax: (802) 485-2173
Creator Adams, Porter H., 1894-1945
Title Porter Hartwell Adams Papers
Extent 3 Boxes (3 linear feet)
About the Collection
The collection documents the life and interests of Porter H. Adams, president of Norwich University, 1934-1939. It includes articles, correspondence, diaries, official records and certificates, genealogy, scrapbooks and aeronautical materials. A detailed content listing contains additional information. It is important to note that because John Martin Thomas served as acting president, or substitute, for Porter Adams from 1937 to 1939, many of the records from the Adams administration, and much of the official correspondence, will be found in the papers of President Thomas.
About Porter Hartwell Adams
Porter H. Adams was born in Andover, MA, and died in Boston, MA. He was made acting president of NU on 1 January 1934 and became president of Norwich University on 25 August 1934. Adams had served as a trustee since 1931 and was made a vice-president in 1933. Porter Adams was a pioneering student of aeronautical engineering at MIT and pursued this interest throughout his life, primarily through his active membership in the National Aeronautical Association. He served in the navy in World War I. Adams resigned the presidency in 1939 due to poor health.
The following subjects are represented in this collection. If you are researching these topics, try using these search terms in the library catalog:
• Adams, Porter Hartwell, 1894-1945.
• Norwich University. -- President (1934-1939 : Adams)
• Norwich University -- History -- 20th century.
• College trustees -- Vermont -- Northfield.
• Aeronautics -- Handbooks, manuals, etc.
The collection is open.
Many items in the University Archives are one-of-a-kind resources that are not likely to be available anywhere but here. For this reason, forming citations for archival sources is a little different than for books and periodicals. If you need to cite anything from this collection, follow the format below:
Identification of specific item; Date (if known); Porter Hartwell Adams Papers, Box and/or Folder and/or Item Identification; Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Here’s an example from the collection:
Letter to Charles Penrose from Porter Adams, 11 September 1941. Porter Hartwell Adams Papers, Miscellaneous Correspondence and Papers, 1913-1945. Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, Northfield, VT.
Extent: 3 Boxes (3 linear feet)
Collection Location: Archives 501; oversized materials housed in OSD1.2
Language(s) of Material: English
Repository: Norwich University Archives, Kreitzberg Library, 158 Harmon Dr., Northfield, VT 05663 USA, Phone: 802.485.2947, Fax: 802.485.2173, firstname.lastname@example.org
Filmstrips of home movies were removed from the collection and transferred to the Sullivan Museum and History Center.
• Articles by or about Porter H. Adams, 1926-1948
• Condolences to Sue Adams on the death of Porter Adams, 1945-1946 (2 files)
• Correspondence and papers, 1913, 1918, 1934-1945
• Correspondence and papers of Sue Adams, 1939-1946, 1975-1978
• Degrees, diplomas, certificates (in OSD1.2)
o Ensign, USN, 1922
o Lt.Com, USN, 1925
o Ph.D from Norwich, honorary, 1935
• Diaries of Porter H. Adams, 1918-1919 (2 volumes)
• Divorce papers of Porter and Dorothy Adams, 1931 and 1938
• Genealogy of Porter H. Adams
• Graphic Flight Series Tests and Study Books, ca. 1947
• Inauguration, 1934
• Landing Field Guide and Pilot’s Log Book, 1920
• Memberships (in OSD1.2)
o Society of automotive engineers, 1917 and 1928
o Friendly order of the original bad eggs, undated
• Norwich materials, 1934-1940
• Obituaries of Porter and Sue Adams, 1945-1946, 1985
• Obituaries of Allan Winter Rowe, 1934
• Patents and plans, 1917-1918, 1933, 1936
• Programs and memorabilia, 1913-1916, 1926, 1934
• Real estate records, Boston and Vermont, 1916, 1939-1949
• Scrapbook of trip to Cuba, 1934
• Three-dimensional weather maps, circa 1944
• Estate of William K. Porter (grandfather of Porter H. Adams), 1898, 1934-1939 (2 files)
• Estate of Lillie Gibson (cousin of Porter H. Adams), 1938-1939
• Estate of Marietta Wilson (aunt of Porter H. Adams), 1926, 1940-1949
• Estate of Jeannie H. Adams (mother of Porter H. Adams), 1917, 1936-1946
• Estate of Porter H. Adams, 1913-1972 (5 files)
• Dedication of Porter-Adams Memorial Window, Park Street Church, Boston, 2 November 1924
• The President Adams March, written by Rupert Henry Whitcomb for Adams’ inauguration on 22 October 1934
• Scrapbook, ca. 1912, documenting Adams’ time as an aeronautical engineering student at MIT
Click tabs to swap between content that is broken into logical sections.